Friday, June 15, 2012

I AM NOT THIS SKIN

I have countless stories of children in Uganda pinching my skin to see if I was real. Stories of having to cut tangles/knots out of my hair after someone would want to "play with that American hair". I am a firm believer that most people just want what they don't have - myself included.



One time I was in the tukula shop hanging out with Sally and Bennah when a Ugandan lady walked by with very light skin. Sally was the first to comment "Auntie you see that lady, she has made her skin whiter". This was not the first time I had seen a Ugandan women with bleeched skin. I asked Sally why women here do that and her response was one I heard often "because WE think white skin is more beautful". I went on to explain that in America some people pay to have there skin darkened (tanning beds) because they think it's beautiful. We went back and forth for a little while and all of a sudden Bennah boldly proclaims, "I would never change my skin because I am FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY made!"




I'm so thankful for Bennah's boldness and her ability to stand firm in who she is. In the past few months she has experienced many trials but she always handles everything with such wisdom and confidence. She is constantly teaching all of us at tukula and we are so happy she is a part of our family.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Its so true that we are always trying to change what we have. I used to hate how fair my skin was but I have finally been able to accept it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES!

    thanks, melissa. :)

    ReplyDelete